Initial Anthem announcement
We are informing all WELS VEBA members and former members that we are aware Anthem, Inc., the claims administrator for WELS VEBA, is the victim of a highly sophisticated cyber attack. Anthem has informed us that its member data was accessed, and could include that of our current and former members.
We are working closely with Anthem to better understand the impact on our members. Here is what we do know:
- Once Anthem determined it was the victim of a sophisticated cyber attack, it immediately notified federal law enforcement officials and shared the indicators of compromise with the HITRUST C3 (Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Coordination Center).
- Anthem’s Information Security has worked to eliminate any further vulnerability and continues to secure all of its data.
- Anthem immediately began a forensic IT investigation to determine the number of impacted consumers and to identify the type of information accessed. The investigation is still taking place.
- The information accessed includes member names, member health ID numbers/Social Security numbers, dates of birth, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses and employment information, including income data. Social
- Security numbers were included in only a subset of the universe of consumers that were impacted.
- Anthem is still working to determine which members’ Social Security numbers were accessed.
- Anthem’s investigation to date shows that no credit card or confidential health information was accessed.
- Anthem has advised us there is no indication at this time that any of our clients’ personal information has been misused.
- All impacted Anthem members will be automatically enrolled in identity repair services. In addition, impacted members will be provided information on how to enroll in free credit monitoring.
- We are continuing to work closely with Anthem to better understand the cyber attack and the impact on our members. Anthem has created a website: www.anthemfacts.com, and a hotline, 1-877-263-7995, for members to call for more information, in addition to a Frequently Asked Questions list that further explains the cyber attack.
We are closely monitoring any developments and will continue to keep you updated on Anthem’s ongoing investigation.
In Christ’s Service,
Mr. Joshua Peterman
Director of WELS Benefit Plans